Rear view of Mr. Oldfield's house at Maidapur
Watercolour of the rear view of Mr. Oldfield's house at Maidapur in West Bengal, by an unknown artist working in the Murshidabad style, part of the Hyde Collection, c. 1790-1800. Inscribed on back in ink and pencil: 'South East or back view of Mr. Oldfield's House at Moidapore and Doctor Wilson's Bungalow near it.'
Christopher Oldfield was the Collector of Murshidabad from 1793-98, and a judge for the Court of Appeal from 1802 until he died in 1808. Company painting first emerged in Murshidabad in the second half of the 18th century. It is a style of miniature painting that developed in response to the tastes and influences of the British serving with the East India Company. The style subsequently spread to other British centres, the most notable being Patna, Benares (Varanasi), Delhi and Lucknow. This drawing shows a single storeyed thatched bungalow beyond and to the right of the Oldfield house, most likely belonging to Dr. Wilson. Dr. Wilson is possibly James Wilson, who worked in the area as Assistant Surgeon in 1781, Surgeon in 1793 and who died in Murshidabad in 1803.