Temple of Srirangam, Trichinopoly
Goache painting on mica of the temple of Srirangam, by an anonymous artist working in the Trichinopoly style, c.1850. Inscribed: 'Temple of Streerangam, Trichinopoly.'
The holy island of Srirangam, near Tiruchchirappalli in Tamil Nadu, is surrounded by the Kaveri River and on it are two large temples. One is dedicated to Vishnu as Ranganatha, reclining on his serpent couch, and to the east is the Jambukeshvara Temple, dedicated to Shiva. This sacred complex dates mostly from the 17th century, Nayaka period. The innermost sanctuary stands in the centre of five concentric enclosures entered through seven pyramidal gateways or gopuras. The west gopura leads into a columned mandapa and a tank is situated to the right. To the north is the thousand pillared hall with carved pillars. This painting shows the tall towered gopura (entrance gate) of one of the temples.