The Fort at Sambalpur (Orissa).
Watercolour of the fort at Sambalpur in Orissa, by an anonymous artist for the Gilbert Collection, c. 1825. Inscribed on the front : 'The Fort of Sumbhulpore'; on the back: 'The Old Fort of Sumbhulpore.'
The town of Sambalpur is located in the district of the same name, situated on the western edge of Orissa near the border with Madhya Pradesh. The name derives from its presiding goddess Samalei, enshrined in the Samalai Gudi temple on the Mahanadi River. The area has been inhabited since the 4th century by several different dynasties and was annexed by the British in the early 19th century. This drawing shows the fort on the banks of the Mahanadi River with sentries in the look-out towers.