The old palace in the Fort at Sambalpur (Orissa).
Watercolour of the old Palace in the fort at Sambalpur in Orissa, by an anonymous artist for the Gilbert Collection, c. 1825. Inscribed on the front : 'Remains of the Old Palace in the interior of the Fort of Sumbhulpore'; on the back:' Remains of Old Palaces in the Fort of Sumbhulpore.'
The town of Sambalpur is located in the district of the same name, situated on the western edge of Orissa near the border with Madhya Pradesh. The name derives from its presiding goddess Samalei, enshrined in the Samalai Gudi temple on the Mahanadi River. The area has been inhabited since the 4th century by several different dynasties and was annexed by the British in the early 19th century. This drawing shows the Commandant, Lieut.Colonel W.R. Gilbert, and his wife approaching the palace mounted on an elephant and accompanied by silver-stick bearers, lance-bearers and cavalry.