The Judge's House, Dinajpur
Watercolour of the Judge's House in Dinajpur district, West Bengal, by an anonymous artist working in the Murshidabad style, part of the Hyde Collection, c. 1790-1800. Inscribed on the back in pencil: 'Dinajepore House, residence of the Judge of that District.'
Dinajpur district forms a part of the basin lying between Rajmahal Hills,
enclosed by Bangladesh on the East and Bihar on the West, with Darjeeling & Jalpaiguri District on the North and Malda District on the South. The Murshidabad style is part of the Company painting tradition; a style of miniature painting that developed in the second half of the 18th century in response to the tastes and influences of the British serving with the East India Company. The style first emerged in Murshidabad and subsequently spread to other British centres, the most notable being Patna, Benares (Varanasi), Delhi and Lucknow.