The house of Charles Boddam, Chapra
Watercolour of the house of Charles Boddam in Chhapra, Bihar, by an anonymous artist working in the Patna/Chapra style, c. 1810. Inscribed on back in ink: 'East view of the house at Chuprah inhabited by Charles Boddam Esqr. from April 1794 to April 1806'.
This drawing shows the house as a bungalow with three flights of steps leading to a verandah with Tuscan columns, two small cupolas, or dovecotes, on the roof and a European couple standing at the door. Charles Boddam went to Bengal in the East India Company's service as a writer in 1780. In May 1793 he was posted to Saran District as Judge of Dewanny Adawlut and Magistrate; he died at Fort William on 13th August 1811.