The fortress of Weir near Bharatpur
Watercolour of the fortress of Weir near Bharatpur in Rajasthan, part of the Hyde collection, created by an anonymous artist working in the Delhi style, c. 1823. Inscribed on the front in Persian characters and in English in pencil: 'Weir;' on the back in ink: 'Weir, another Mud Fort which surrendered to the British Troops after the Fall of Bhurtpore in January 1826.'
The Weir fort was built, along with a palace and gardens, by Badan Singh (r.1722-33), the Sinsini Jat who became the first Raja of Dig in 1722. It was once the residence of Partab Singh, the second son of Badan Singh, and brother of the famous Suraj Mal (r.1733-63), who raised the Jat power to its zenith, capturing Agra in 1761. He took Bharatpur from a rival Jat chief in 1733 and made it the capital of the Sinsini Jat state. This drawing shows the fort in the background, beyond the mud walls, with animals, villagers and a well in the foreground.