Watercolour of the Fort at Agra, Uttar Pradesh, by an Agra or Delhi artist c. 1826. This drawing shows the river Jumna and boat in the foreground. Built principally as a military establishment by Akbar in 1565, the red sandstone Agra fort was partially converted into a palace during Shah Jahan's time, when several pavilions faced in white marble were added to the existing sandstone and brick structures. The fort comprises a number of enclosed courtyards and buildings and includes halls of public and private audience, a devotional and congregational mosque, and residential areas including a 'zenana' or separate building for the women of the court. This massive fort is 2.5 kms long and is the predecessor of its later cousin in Delhi, the Red Fort at Shahjahanabad. The walls are 20 feet high and the whole fort is encircled by a moat. Amar Singh gate towards the south is the only entry point in the fort. Inscribed on the front in ink: 'View from the Left Bank of River Jumna of the Fortress and Palaces of Agra.' Watermark: 'J. Whatman 1821.'