The great Gola on the Maidan at Bankipore
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of Bankipore granary from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Patna to Benares Vol. II' was produced for the Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r. 1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
The Gola, or granary, was constructed by John Garstin of the Bengal Engineers in 1786, as a storehouse for grain after a famine, however, was never filled. The Gola is located on the at Bankipore's Maidan. Bankipore is a suburb of Patna, which was inhabited by the British and Europeans starting the mid-18th. View of a brick building, shaped as a bee-hive, which would have been accessed via the external staircases by horseback, to store grain. Inscribed below: 'The Golah. or Grain Stone' [sic]' House at Patna.'
Note: The Gola was constructed by the young John Garstin of the Bengal Engineers in 1786.