The Raja of Benares's palace at Ramnagar from the river, with the Raja's state boat
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of Ramnagar Palace in Varanasi from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Benares to Nazibghur Vol. III' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r. 1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
Ramnagar Palace is situated on the right bank of the Ganges River and was made the capital of the former princely state of Benares (Varanasi) by Raja Balwant Singh in 1750. A series of courtyards lead to the white towers of the main palace within the fort, with the private apartments on one side of the tower and the Durbar Hall and reception rooms on the other. Inscribed below: 'Fortified House of the Rajah of Benares, with his state Boat.'