The fort of Chunargarh seen from across the river
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of Chunargarh fort from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Benares to Nazibghur Vol. III' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r.1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
The Chunargarh fort, located on a hilltop over looking the Ganges river, was occupied by several Mughal Emperors including Humayun (r.1530-56) and Akbar (r.1556-1605). In 1537, however, the Afghan Sher Shah Sur captured and fortified the fort. In the 18th century, the Chunargarh fort belonged to the Nawabs of Awadh and after the battle of Buxar in 1764, Warren Hastings and the British stormed into the fort. View of Chunargarh fort seen from across the river. Inscribed below: 'Fort of Chunar to the West.'