The Imambara building itself, with the mosque to the right
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of Great Imambara in Lucknow from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Cawnpore to Mohumdy Vol. IV' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r.1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
Nawab Asaf ud-Daula of Awadh (r.1775-97), requested architect Kifayat-ullah in 1784 to construct the Great Imambara, for the purpose of celebrating the Muslim festival of Muharram in commemoration of the imams Ali, Hasan, and Hussein. Subsequently, the imambara was used as a mausoleum for Asaf ud-Daula upon his death in 1797. The Great Imambara complex consists of several forecourts and gateways which lead to the imambara. Illustrated here, is the Great Imambara, on the left and the Asafi Masjid (built between 1775-97) on the right. Both structures are located within the complex's central court. Inscribed below: 'The Imaumbarah'