The Nawab Vizier's country retreat at Dilkusha within a deer park
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of Dilkusha from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Cawnpore to Mohumdy Vol. IV' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r. 1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
Dilkusha was built by Nawab Saadat Ali Khan (r.1798-1814) as a hunting lodge and country house. As late 18th and 19th century Lucknow architecture was notably influenced by European architecture, it is no surprise that this building was based on the English classical baroque style. Dilkusha has a striking resemblence to Seaton Delaval, a house in Northumberland. Illustration of the country house within a deer park. Inscribed below: 'Country Palace Dil Khoosha.'