The courtyard of Ghazi al-Din Khan's Madrassah at Delhi looking west towards the mosque
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of Ghazi al-Din Khan's Madrasa from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Delhi to Tughlikabad Vol. VII' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r.1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
Idealised view of the courtyard of Ghazi al-Din Khan's Madrassa at Delhi looking west towards the mosque, with the southern range of the apartments on the left. A fountain in the foreground. Ghazi-uddin Khan, who was given the title of Firoz Jang, was an important noble during the reign of Aurangzeb (r.1658-1707) and his successor Shah Alam (r.1707-12). Ghazi uddin's son was Nizam-ul-Mulk, the founder of the Nizam dynasty at Hyderabad. The Madrassa was founded by Ghazi-uddin and is still used as an educational institution now known as the Anglo-Arabic college. The double-storeyed building is constructed around a large courtyard and was entered through an imposing red sandstone gateway. Inscribed below: 'Shah Jehan's Musgid and Dewan Khanah to the left.'