The walls of Tughluqabad and the tomb of Ghiyath al-Din Tughluq
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of the tomb of Ghiyas-ud-din Tughlaq from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Delhi to Tughlikabad Vol. VII' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r. 1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
Idealised view of the tomb of Ghiyas-ud-din Tughlaq and the walls of Tughluqabad.
The citadel and town of Tughluqabad was built by Ghiyas-ud-Din Tughlaq (r.1320-1325), east of Qutub Minar. The fortress stands on a high outcrop of rock with rubble built walls, surviving intact all along the 7 km perimeter, with a vast reservoir on the south. The fortress was divided into three sections-the citadel, the palace and the city. All that remains of the complex of palaces, houses and halls is a few arches. The citadel has a high masonry mound in the centre known as Vijay mandal (tower of victory). Inscribed below: 'Taglimabad with the Emperor Tagli's Tomb.'