The Mosque of 'Abd al-Nabi at Mathura
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of the Jami Masjid in Mathura from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Tughlikabad to Secundra Vol. VIII' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r.1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
View of Mathura with Abd al-Nabi's mosque [Jami Masjid] in the centre, still partly covered with tiles. The Jami Masjid, constructed in 1660-61 by Abd al-Nabi, Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb's (r.1659-1707) governor, is notably one of the first non-imperial mosques built during this period. Built above street level on a raised platform, the four minarets extending to 40 m in height and the facade once covered with multi-coloured tilework would have been visible from distances. Inscribed below: 'Abdool Nubee Khan's Musgid at Muttra.'