The bath chambers in the palace at Agra
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of the bath chambers at Agra palace from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Agra to Barrackpore Vol. X' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r. 1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
Idealised view of the bath chambers in the Agra palace. Located on the northern end of the palace's quadrangle, the royal bath or hammam is found with a marble contructed pavillion. The Agra fort and palace, located along the banks of the river Jumna, was constructed initially by Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605). One of his successors, Emperor Shah Jahan (r.1627-58) rebuilt the majority of the complex by using white marble and stucco. Inscribed below: 'Bath in the Palace at Agra.'