The white and black marble throne platforms on the terrace of the palace at Agra
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of the throne platforms on the terrace at the Agra palace from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Agra to Barrackpore Vol. X' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r. 1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
Idealised view of the white and black marble throne platforms on the terrace of the palace at Agra. Prince Salim, later Mughal Emperor Jahangir (r.1605-27), ordered the construction of the black marble throne, which is engraved with an inscription praising the Prince, in 1602 for the Allahabad fort. In 1610 Jahangir requested the black marble throne to be relocated to the Agra fort and palace complex and was placed along the wall overlooking the river. At the Agra fort, the white marble throne is actually located near the steps to the Macchi Bhavan (Fish Square), originally a water palace, instead of directly next to the black marble throne. Inscribed below: 'The black stone called the Emperor Jehanguire's in the Fort at Agra.'