Temple and house at Mainpuri
Artist: Sita Ram (fl. c.1810-1822)
Watercolour of a house and temple at Mainpuri from 'Views by Seeta Ram from Agra to Barrackpore Vol. X' produced for Lord Moira, afterwards the Marquess of Hastings, by Sita Ram between 1814-15. Marquess of Hastings, the Governor-General of Bengal and the Commander-in-Chief (r.1813-23), was accompanied by artist Sita Ram (flourished c.1810-22) to illustrate his journey from Calcutta to Delhi between 1814-15.
Idealised view of a temple and house at Mainpuri, with a kind of steeple. Mainpuri, located in Uttar Pradesh, was founded in the 12th century and ruled by the Rajas of Mainpuri, descendants of the Chauhan Rajputs. In 1801, Mainpuri became the head-quarters of the District of Etwah and was ceded to the British. Inscribed below: 'Mynpooree. The Takoor and House supposed of an ancient Rajah.'