The Harihar Chattar mela at Sonpur on the west bank of the Gandak, viewed from the garden of Sir Charles D'Oyly's bungalow in Hajipur
Artist: Shiv Dayal (fl. c.1820)
Watercolour of the Harihar Chattar 'mela' at Sonpur, by the Patna artist Shiv Dayal (Seo Dial), part of the Hastings Albums, c.1820-21. Inscribed in ink below: 'Hadjepore Fair from the Bungalow Verandah'; and in ink on the reverse in the hand of Lady D'Oyly: 'Hadgeepore Fair from the Bungalow Verandah by Seudial.'
Sonpur is located on the west bank of the Gandak. The foreground of this drawing is full of people and there are numerous boats and barges on the river including a pinnace budgerow with an English couple seated on top. The temple of Mahadeva can be seen on the opposite bank with a large encampment, and beyond is the Ganges, also thronged with people. The great granary at Bankipore is visible in the distance.