The British Residency in Kathmandu, an original Palladian bungalow, with a two-storeyed Gothic extension behind
Watercolour drawing accentuated with silver of the British Residency in Kathmandu, part of the Lawrence collecion by an anonymous artist working within the Nepalese school, c. 1843-1846. The image, set within a narrow black frame, is inscribed on the front in pencil: 'Probably the Residency but not as in 1908.'
This drawing shows the British Residency in Kathmandu, an original Palladian bungalow, with a two-storeyed Gothic extension behind. The figures seen in the garden are most likely Henry Lawrence with his children, servants, animals and a sepoy. At the end of the Anglo-Nepal War (1814-1816), by means of the Treaty of Segauli imposed on the Gurkhas who ruled the Kathmandu Valley, Nepal had to accept its present eastern and western boundaries and admit an official British Resident in Kathmandu. Sir Henry Montgomery Lawrence (1806-1857) held the post of Resident of Nepal from 1843 to 1846.