The Parade Ground, Kathmandu, with the Dharahara tower (‘Bhimasen’s Folly’), Newar temples, European-style mansions, and the hills beyond. A group of sepoys in the foreground
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil, wash and watercolour of the Parade Ground at Kathmandu in Nepal, part of the Lawrence Collection, by an anonymous artist working in the Nepalese school, c. 1843-1846. Inscribed on the front in pencil: 'No. 8. (c) Badge of 1st Rifle Regt. of Nepal. Parade ground of Khatmandu.'
The image shows the Dharahara tower ('Bhimasen's Folly'), in the distance on the right. Built in 1832 by Bhimsen Thapa the Prime Minister, the Dharahara served as a watchtower. Once open to the public, the top of the tower has a good view of the Valley. Newar temples, European-style mansions, and the hills beyond can also be seen in this view. A group of sepoys stand in the foreground wearing the turban-ornaments (star and moon) to which the inscription refers.