The palace at Patan, with the chief Taleju temple, and the pillar portrait of Yoganarendra Malla
Medium: Watercolour with pencil, pen and ink
Pencil, wash and watercolour drawing of the palace in the Mul Chowk or main square at Lalitpur (Patan), part of the Lawrence collection created by an anonymous artist working in the Nepalese school, c. 1843-1846. This image, within a broad black frame, is inscribed on the front in pencil: 'No. 11'; and on the reverse (erroneously) 'Temple of Bhairab at Bhatgaon'.
Lalitpur, the 'City of Beauty' was founded in the 2nd century by the Kirats and it remained a valley kingdom until the late 15th century when it became a sovereign state, together with Kathmandu and Bhaktapur. All three were built around Durbar Squares containing Palace and Temple complexes. The Degutale, the chief Taleju temple was renovated in 1641 by Srinivasa and is dedicated to the goddess of the Malla Kings; Taleju, who provided them with their power to rule. The pillar portrait of Yoganarendra Malla stands in front of the temple and shows the King and his son kneeling in prayer with a cobra poised to attack protecting them.