The Lahore Gate of the Delhi Fort (top right), The Delhi Gate of the Delhi Fort (bottom right)
Author: Metcalfe, Sir Thomas Theophilus (1795-1853)
Medium: Ink and colours on paper
[From 'Reminiscences of Imperial Delhi’, an album consisting of 89 folios containing approximately 130 paintings of views of the Mughal and pre-Mughal monuments of Delhi, as well as other contemporary material, with an accompanying manuscript text written by Sir Thomas Theophilus Metcalfe (1795-1853), the Governor-General’s Agent at the imperial court. Acquired with the assistance of the Heritage Lottery Fund and of the National Art-Collections Fund.]
[The Lahore Gate of the Delhi Fort. This is the most important gate of the Fort. The gate is three storeys high, the actual opening measures 12.5m in height and 7.3m in width, and is flanked by half-octagonal turrets, crowned by open pavilions. The centre of the facade above the gate is emphasised by a row of dwarf chattris, each roofed by a small marble dome. The row of dwarf chattris is terminated at either end by a slender minaret. An outer barbican was added by Aurangzeb to provide greater protection to the fort.]
The principal entrance to the Palace of Dehly and dominated the “Lahore Gate” from its face being in the direction of that country. It looks towards the Chandnee Chowk or great Street of the City in which is situated the Roshun ood Dowlah Mosque and Kotewal’s Chuboobra. Vide page 12-13 [ff. 15-16].
[The Delhi Gate of the Delhi Fort. It is was the gate used by the Emperor when he went for prayers to the Jama Masjid. It is similar in design to the to the Lahore gate, with a barbican added by Aurangzeb. ]
The second principal entrance to the palace, and termed the Dehly Gate. It faces nearly the Golden Mosque. Vide page 39 [f. 43].