View of the Commandant's house at Sambalpur. (Orissa).
Watercolour of a view from the Commandant's house at Sambalpur in Orissa, by an anonymous artist, part of the Gilbert Collection, c. 1825. Inscribed on the front : 'Sumbhulpore. View from the House'; on the back: 'Fort of Sumbhulpore.'
The town of Sambalpur is located in the district of the same name, situated on the western edge of Orissa near the border with Madhya Pradesh. The name derives from its presiding goddess Samalei, enshrined in the Samalai Gudi temple on the Mahanadi River. The area has been inhabited since the 4th century by several different dynasties and was annexed by the British in the early 19th century. This drawing shows the fort at the foot of the hills and the river bed in the foreground.