View of Bhadgaon from the south side of the river
Pencil and watercolour drawing of Bhaktapur from the south side of the river, part of the Lawrence collection created by an anonymous artist, c. 1843-1846. This image, within a broad black frame is inscribed in pencil: 'No. 9'; and above: 'Town of Bhagaon.'
Bhaktapur, the 'City of Devotees' is 11 km east of Kathmandu and 10 km north-east of Patan and is the youngest of the three former city-states of the Kathmandu Valley. Bhaktapur was founded in the 9th century and rose to prominence under the Malla dynasty. It remained a valley kingdom until the late 15th century when it became a sovereign state, together with Kathmandu and Patan. All three have similar architecture and were built around Durbar Squares containing Palace and Temple complexes. This is a distant view of the town, with the river and a few grazing cattle in the foreground.