Panorama of Calcutta. Section 3
Artist: Fiebig, Frederick (fl. 1840s)
Uncoloured lithograph of a panorama of Calcutta drawn after nature by Frederick Fiebig and prepared, printed and published by T. Black of the Asiatic Lithographic Press in Calcutta in 1847. The third section shows the Government House with Eden Gardens situated opposite on the Maidan and a temporary encampment of troops nearby. Captain Charles Wyatt of the Engineers, the architect of the new Government House, based his designs for the building on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire. The building is characterised by the inclusion of four projecting wings. The centrepiece of the southern façade, seen here, is a circular colonnade with a dome. Marking each end of the carriageways on the north and south facades are four large ceremonial gateways. The Eden Gardens were laid out in 1834 and opened to the public in 1840. They were named after Emily and Fanny Eden, the sisters to Lord Auckland, the Governor-General of India from 1836-1842. Shipping on the River Hooghly may be also seen in the middle distance of this view.