Panorama of Calcutta. Section 6
Artist: Fiebig, Frederick (fl. 1840s)
Uncoloured lithograph of a panorama of Calcutta drawn after nature by Frederick Fiebig and prepared, printed and published by T. Black of the Asiatic Lithographic Press in Calcutta in 1847. The sixth section of the panorama shows Chowringhee Road. In the late eighteenth century, Chowringee became the main European residential area of Calcutta and was characterised by Palladian houses that were set in spacious grounds. In this view, we can see three of the water tanks placed along the Maidan to supply water to the city. To the extreme right, the spire of St. Paul's Cathedral is also visible. This spire collapsed in an earthquake in 1897. Today, St Paul's Cathedral is topped by a tower, which was built after a second earthquake in 1934. The cathedral was designed in the Gothic style by Major William Forbes of the Bengal Engineers, the architect of the Silver Mint in Calcutta, and consecrated in 1847.