The Government House in Calcutta
Artist: Fiebig, Frederick (fl. 1840s)
Uncoloured lithograph of the Government House in Calcutta by Frederick Fiebig dated c.1847. When Marquis Wellesley became Governor-General of Calcutta in 1798, he decided that the existing Government House was not a suitable building for his position and needs. The architect of the new Government House, Captain Charles Wyatt of the Bengal Engineers, based his designs for the building on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire. The central feature of the north side of the new Government House, seen in this view, is a portico with a large staircase under which carriages drove to the entrance. Four large ceremonial gateways marked each end of the carriageways to the north and south façades. Fiebig also produced a 360 degree panorama of Calcutta in six parts in 1847 and he took many salt-print photographs of the city and its environs in 1851.