Calcutta. View up the Hooghly showing Government House and shipping
Medium: Lithograph, coloured
Coloured lithograph of the Hooghly River showing the Government House and shipping at Calcutta by an unknown printmaker dated c. 1850. Calcutta was founded on the mud flats of Hooghly River, a tributary of the Ganges, by the English merchant Job Charnock in 1690. Ships at Calcutta transported Indian cottons, silks and tea to Europe during the British Raj. The new Government House, shown in the distance of this view, was commissioned by Marquis Wellesley in 1798 on his appointment to Governor-General of Calcutta. The architect of the project, Captain Charles Wyatt of the Bengal Engineers, based his designs on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire. On the north side, which faces the river, there is a portico with a large staircase under which carriages drove to the entrance.