Old Fort, Playhouse and Holwell's Monument
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
Coloured etching with aquatint of the Old Fort, Playhouse and Holwell's Monument in Calcutta by Thomas Daniell (1749-1840) from 'Views of Calcutta' published in 1786. This view looks along Clive Street. The eastern wall of old Fort William can be seen on the left. The old Fort was constructed under the supervision of John Goldsborough at the turn of the eighteenth century. In 1757, an attack on the fort by the forces of Siraj-ud-Daulah, the Nawab of Bengal, led the British to build a new fort in the Maidan. The old fort was repaired and used as a Customs House from 1766. Hollwell's Monument is on the right. It was erected to the memory of the survivors of the 'Black Hole' in 1756, but removed from this site in 1821. The Theatre was built by public subscription in 1775.