The Old Fort Ghaut
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
Coloured etching with aquatint of the Old Fort Ghat adjoining old Fort William in Calcutta by Thomas Daniell (1749-1840) no.6 of his 'Views of Calcutta' published in 1787. The old Fort was built at the turn of the eighteenth century. In 1757, an attack on the fort by the forces of Siraj-ud-Daulah, the Nawab of Bengal, led the British to build a new fort in the Maidan. The old Fort buildings were repaired and used as a Customs House from 1766. Both goods and passengers were unloaded from ships at the landing-stage shown here. The ghat was also a popular bathing place for the people of Calcutta.