Esplanade Row and the Council House
Artist and engraver: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
Coloured etching with aquatint of Esplanade Row and the Council House in Calcutta by Thomas Daniell (1749-1840) from one of his 'Views of Calcutta' published in 1788. Esplanade Row runs east-west to the north of the Maidan, an open space in which the new Fort William was built in 1757. By the close of the eighteenth century, Esplanade Row was the location of numerous public buildings including the New Court House, the Supreme Court, the Mint, the old Government House and the Council House. The Council House, on the right of this view, was built in 1764. However, it was demolished in order to make way for Marquis Wellesley's new Government House that was constructed between 1799 and 1802. In the foreground, there is a temporary encampment of troops.