Mosque at Peruspore, Gour
Aquatinter: Moffat, James (1775-1815)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
'Mosque at Peruspore, Gour.' From 'Views at Gaur', six aquatints by James Moffat after Henry Creighton, published by Moffat in Calcutta 1808. The ruined city of Gaur is situated on a deserted channel of the Ganges. The date of the foundation of the city is obscure, however its known history commenced in about 1200 when it was conquered by the Muslim adventurer Bakhtiyar Khalji. With a period of Hindu rule during the medieval era, Gaur then rose to prominence as the capital of the sultans of Bengal from the mid-fifteenth century, following the move from the nearby city of Pandua. Most of the surviving ruins are from this later period.