'The Temple of Elephanta.' Line engraving by James Phillips after painting by James Wales, based on an original drawing by James Forbes. Published London, 1790
Engraver: Phillips, James
Engraving of the cave temple at Elephanta by James Phillips after a painting by James Wales, which was based on an original drawing by James Forbes. The Engraving was published in London in 1790. The Shiva temple on the small island of Elephanta, off the coast of Bombay, is celebrated as one of the greatest achievements in rock-cut architecture in India. The temple dates from the in the sixth century, stands at 250 feet above sea level and measures 130 feet square. The interior of the cave is supported by a hypostyle hall. The columns have squat tapering shafts and fluted cushion-like capitals. The northern entrance faces the great Trimurti, the triple-headed bust of Shiva, and can be seen in the centre of this view. The linga shrine is shown on the right. The shrine faces the eastern entrance and is protected by large guardian figures flanking the doorways.