'A View of Bombay from Malabar Point. Taken on the spot by Lieut-Col. Williamson during the dreadful fire of the night of 17th Feb 1803.'
Engraver: Barth, J.S. (fl. 1797-1809)
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
Coloured aquatint of the fire in Bombay from Malabar Point on the night of 17 February 1803 by J.S. Barth from the drawing by Thomas George Williamson published by R.Cribb on the 5 January 1804. Malabar Point is situated at the tip of Back Bay on the eastern side of Bombay. This view looks towards the fort area of Bombay to the west. Bombay Fort was constructed between 1715 and 1722 under the governorship of Charles Boone.
The original British community lived within the fort area until it was largely destroyed by the devastating fire of 17 February 1803 after which a new town with wider streets was built. Early in the 19th century the area expanded with the construction of several public buildings including the Town Hall (1833), the Mint (1824-29), Customs House and St. Andrew’s Church (1819). With the acceleration of trade and commerce later in the century Mumbai was transformed into a thriving trading port and commercial centre.