'Vue des Magazins de la Compagnie des Indes a Pondichery, de l'Amiraute et de la Maison du Gouverneur.' Engraving. Published 19th cent
Artist and engraver: Anonymous
Medium: Engraving, coloured
Engraving by an anonymous printmaker of the French East India Company's warehouses, the Admiralty and the Governor's House at Pondicherry in Tamil Nadu and published in the 19th century. Pondicherry, on the Coromandel Coast south of Madras, was a French colony from 1814 to 1954. The first Government House at Pondicherry was commissioned by the French Governor Dupleix, designed by Dumont and completed in 1752. Following the destruction of Pondicherry by the British in 1761, the Government House was reconstructed on a more modest scale by Bouçet on the same site.