View of Fort William in Bengal from the Government House at Calcutta
Artist: Baillie, William (1752/3-1799)
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
Handcoloured etching with aquatint of Fort William from the Government House in Calcutta by William Baillie (1752/3-1799) dated 1791. The new Fort William, seen this view, was constructed as a result of the damaging attack on the original fort by the forces of Siraj-ud-Daulah the Nawab of Bengal in 1757. It was situated to the south of the city in Gobindpore and designed by John Brohier. The structure is polygonal in form and has extensive defences including bastions, earthworks and a moat. In addition to this, the area surrounding the fort known as the Maidan was cleared to provide an unrestricted line of fire.