'St Andrew's Church, Egmore, Madras'. Drawn and engraved by J.W. Gantz, Vepery, 1841.
Artist: Gantz, Julius Walter (1816-1875)
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
Coloured aquatint with etching by J.V. Gantz of St. Andrew's Church at Madras, dated 1841.
The splendid Neo-Classical St. Andrew's Church is situated north-east of Egmore Station. It was erected in 1818-1821 by Thomas de Havilland to a design by Lieutenant Grant. It is entered through a Ionic portico surmounted by a tower with tapering octagonal spire. The outer walls of the circular nave have Ionic columns repeating the ones of the portico.