Etcher: Van der Gucht, Gerard (1695-1776)
Etching of Tellicherry by G. Van der Gucht published in 1736 after a painting by George Lambert (1710-1765) and Samuel Scott (1703-1772). Tellicherry is situated south of Cannanore in Kerala. It was founded in 1683 by the East India Company and became the major trading centre for pepper and cardamom in India. Trade was controlled from the fort in the town, which was built by the British in 1708.