'South Front of the Great Gateway of Seringham Pagoda'. Coloured aquatint by J. Wells after a drawing by Capt. Trapaud, 1788
Artist: Wells, John (fl.1792-1809), after Trapaud, Elisha (1750-1828
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Coloured aquatint by J.Wells after a drawing by Capt. Trapaud of the south front of the great gateway of the dated 1788.
The holy pilgrimage place of Srirangam is situated on a long isand in the Cauvery river. Here there are two large temple complexes, a Vaishnava dedicated to Ranganatha and the Jambukeshvara temple which is consacrated to Shiva. The Ranganatha Temple was started in the Chola period but most of the works were carried out from the 13th to the 17th century under the patronage of the Pandya, Hoysala, Vijayanagara and Nayaka rulers. The temple covers an area of 63 hectares divided into 7 concentric enclosures with tall gateways or gopuras in the middle of four sides. The sacred complex of the Jambukeshvara dates mostly from the 17th century Nayaka period. The innermost sanctuary stands in the centre of four concentric enclosures entered through seven pyramidal gateways or gopuras. These brick and plaster towers consist of diminishing storeys covered with elaborate sculptures painted in bright colours. The south gopura, one of the largest in South India, reaches a height of 72 metres.