'N. W. View of the Rock of Trichinopoly'. Coloured aquatint by J. Wells after a drawing by Capt. Trapaud, 1788
Artist: Wells, John (fl.1792-1809)
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
Coloured aquatint by John Wells after Elisha Trapaud of the rock of Tiruchchirapally in Tamil Nadu, dated 1788.
The site of Tiruchchirapalli, has been an important Hindu centre since Chola times thanks to a huge granite rock that rises steeply above the Cauvery river. Significant structures on the rock include two Shiva santuaries. The lower of the two dates from the eighth century and consists of a columned hall with two side shrines. They have carvings of Hindu deities typically seen in Pandya art. In the 17th century, the Nayakas dynasty built a fort on the rock but only a fragment of this structure survives.