'North West view of St Andrew's Church, Madras'. Coloured lithograph by J.B. Maxwell after original watercolour by John Gantz. Undated, c.1825.
Artist: Maxwell, J.R. (fl.1820s), after Gantz, John (1772-1853)
Coloured lithograph by J.B. Maxwell after original watercolour by John Gantz, dated c.1825. of St Andrew's Church at Madras.
The splendid Neo-Classical St. Andrew's Church is situated north-east of Egmore Station. It was erected in 1818-1821 by Thomas de Havilland to a design by Lieutenant Grant. It is entered through a Ionic portico surmounted by a tower with tapering octagonal spire. The outer walls of the circular nave have Ionic columns repeating the ones of the portico.