North view of Fort William from the Esplanade
Artist: Baillie, William (1752/3-1799)
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
Handcoloured etching with aquatint of the north view of Fort William from the Esplanade in Calcutta by William Baillie (1752/3-1799) from one of 'Twelve views of Calcutta' published in 1794. The new Fort William, seen this view, was constructed as a result of the damaging attack on the original fort by the forces of Siraj-ud-Daulah the Nawab of Bengal in 1757. It was situated to the south of the city in Gobindpore and designed by John Brohier. The structure is polygonal in form and has extensive defences including bastions, earthworks and a moat. In addition to this, the area surrounding the fort known as the Maidan was cleared to provide an unrestricted line of fire.