South view of the Council House and Government House Calcutta
Artist and engraver: Baillie, William (1752/3-1799)
Medium: Aquatint with etching
Handcoloured aquatint with etching of the south view of the Council House and Government House in Calcutta by William Baillie (1752/3-1799) plate 3 of his 'Twelve views of Calcutta' published in 1794. The old Government House, built in 1767, and the new Council House, built in 1764, were situated next to eachother in Esplanade Row. The old Government House did not become the official residence of the Governor-General until 1773, but had been used by the Government before this date. This building was replaced by the new Government House in 1789, which was commissioned by Marquis Wellesley on his appointment as Governor-General of Calcutta and located on the same site. In 1800, the new Council House was also demolished.