View of Tank Square Calcutta from the East
Artist and engraver: Baillie, William (1752/3-1799)
Medium: Aquatint with etching
Handcoloured etching with aquatint of Tank Square in Calcutta from the East by William Baillie (1752/3-1799) from plate 4 of 'Twelve views of Calcutta' published in 1794. Tank Square, later Dalhousie Square and now BBD Bagh, lies at the centre of the area once covered by the original Fort William. A large tank in the centre of the square was constructed in 1712 in order to provide water storage for the city. The headquarters of the East India Company known as the Writer's Building is located on the north side of the square.