General view of Calcutta taken from near the sluice of Fort William
Artist and engraver: Baillie, William (1752/3-1799)
Medium: Aquatint with etching
Handcoloured etching with aquatint of Calcutta taken from near the sluice of Fort William by William Baillie (1752/3-1799) from plate seven of his 'Twelve views of Calcutta' published in 1794. Calcutta was founded on the banks of the River Hooghly, a tributary of the Ganges, by Job Charnock in 1690. In the distance of this view, we can see Esplanade Row. Esplanade Row runs east-west to the north of the Maidan, an open space at the centre of Calcutta. By the close of the eighteenth century, Esplanade Row was the location of numerous public buildings.