North view of the Water Gate and Royal Barracks Fort William
Artist: Baillie, William (1752/3-1799)
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
Handcoloured etching with aquatint of the north view of the Water Gate and Royal Barracks at Fort William in Calcutta by William Baillie (1752/3-1799) from plate 9 of his 'Twelve views of Calcutta' published in 1794. Fort William was first constructed at the turn of the eighteenth century. However, an attack on the fort by the forces of Siraj-ud-Daulah the Nawab of Bengal in 1757 led the British to build a new fort. The new Fort William was situated to the south of the city in Gobindpore and designed by John Brohier. The structure is polygonal in form and has extensive defences including bastions, earthworks and a moat. In addition to this, the area surrounding the fort known as the Maidan was cleared to provide an unrestricted line of fire. The Royal Barracks, seen in the distance of this view, were completed in 1764.