North east view of the Military Orphan House near Calcutta for the children of officers
Artist: Baillie, William (1752/3-1799)
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
Handcoloured etching with aquatint by William Baillie (1752/3-1799) of the north east view of the Military Orphan House for the children of officers near Calcutta and plate 11 of his 'Twelve views of Calcutta' published in 1794. The original home for the children of Bengal Army Officers was at Howrah on the west bank of the River Hooghly. In 1790, the establishment moved to Kidderpore south of the Maidan and is seen here. The building was a mansion that had been previously owned by Richard Barwell. It was maintained as an orphanage through a system of monthly contributions from officers. The building at Howrah was subsequently maintained by the East India Company and became the home of the orphans of regular soldiers.