'View of a mausoleum at Chinnapatnam, Mysore'. Drawn by Capt. Thomas Fraser, Madras Engineers, 1812.
Artist and engraver: Fraser, Thomas (1776-1823)
Medium: Engraving, coloured
Engraving of a view of a mausoleum at Channapatna in Karnataka by Captain Thomas Fraser of the Madras Engineers from an earlier sketch dated 1812.
In the late 18th century, the Mysore rulers Haidar Ali (r.1761-1782) and his son Tipu Sultan (r.1782-1799) fought four wars against the British over the control of Southern India. Channapatna is a hilltop fort situated between Bangalore and Seringapatam. The fort was built by Jagadura Raja as his capital in 1580. This territory was bestowed upon him by the Vijayanagara king for the defence of Penukonda in 1577. In 1790, Tipu Sultan dismantled the fort and removed his guns and stores to neighbouring Ramgurry.